If you're lucky enough to bag a tag for one of the most popular elk hunts in the States, then you'll want to review this information.
- A modern rifle of .270 caliber or larger, with a magazine capable of holding no more than 10 rounds.
- A muzzleloading rifle of .50 caliber or larger.
- A muzzle-loading or breechloading shotgun no larger than 10-gauge, and no smaller than 20-gauge, firing a single projectile (slug, round ball, conical bullet or saboted bullet) only.
- A handgun loaded with centerfire cartridges at least 1.285 inches in length, firing bullets of .270 caliber or larger designed to expand upon impact.
- Firearms may not be fully-automatic (capable of firing more than one round with one trigger pull).
- Full metal jacketed or tracer bullet ammunition is prohibited.
- Crossbows or archery equipment (long bows, recurves or compound bow) loaded with a fixed blad or mechanical broadheads at least 7/8" wide (when blades extended), but broadheads may not be barbed, or chemically treated. Crossbows must have a working safety. A person drawn for an archery or crossbow permit may hunt with a crossbow during all archery and crossbow seasons if they are 15 years old or younger, 65 years of age or older or has a crossbow hunting method exemption permit at the time of the hunt.
For all rules and regulations concerning elk hunts in Kentucky, please visit the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.
If this is your first Kentucky Elk Hunt, check this out:
The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife has an online Elk University, that includes practically everything you need to know for your Kentucky Elk Hunt. It was designed to educate hunters of all experience levels and is divided into three sections, with each section covering a variety of topics:
- Pre-Hunt Preparations
- Expectations in the Field
- After the Shot
Deer Telecheck Results - Kentucky
Elk Telecheck Results - Kentucky
Elk Season Dates - Kentucky
Hunting Game in the Land of 10,000 Elk - Kentucky
The Good Ole' Days of Deer Hunting are Happening Right Now in Kentucky
Living Up to Their Name - Meet Travis South of Integrity Outfitters, Kentucky